Final video + Disseminating of Kit




I've prepared 20 beading kits for dissemination. I'm going to disseminate 10 in Singapore and 10 in Indonesia. I want to disseminate to Indonesia as well to see if such effort can be used to reintroduce the culture to Indonesia (on a draft level, not yet government level), especially where Peranakan is a seemingly lost culture in Indonesia. And that shows the scalability of my topic. The image below shows what will be included in the beading kit for each participant.

  

There will also be a video that serves as a virtual guide to do the beading. For the first version of the video guide that will accompany my beading kit, I sent it out to 3 people only, just to see their initial reaction and feedback. The first version of the video is below:


True enough some feedbacks quickly came in. They were saying it is better to include caption. Better to add some graphic/symbols to illustrate my point (especially during the actual beading technique). And the video was too lengthy, better to separate the “how to fix mistakes” to another videos. So I quickly came up with the second version of the video.




And with that I sent out the remaining 7 kits to the rest of the participants in Singapore. I took videos of some of the participants (who I gave the kit in person) trying it out for the first time. Some of the participants were given the kit via mail because it was impossible for me to meet up with 10 people given the situation. From those video, I plan to make a video montage to show during VIVA.



One of the participants, Maehek, is a Thai with Indian heritage who have been living in Singapore in the past 8 years. She was very interested in the craft and ask if she could have a personalized pattern inspired by her Indian heritage. So I collaborated with her to make a pattern inspired by Indian style mandala. This is what I’m trying to do with my website, where I’m building a widget with the help of Andreas for people to make their own pattern inspired by their own style/culture. It’s where different culture could come together in the craft and gives a more personalized feeling.




I also have sent out 10 kits to Indonesia for those with and without Peranakan background, to see how this effort can be used to reintroduce the culture to Indonesia. I've sent it out via mail shortly after disseminating the Singapore one and received good feedback. It’s important to see how this effort can be expanded in other culture/country such as Indonesia. On the other hand, customs in Indonesia is quite tricky, so I hope that the kits wont be delayed. 













Comments